For the biggest of sports fans, their passion for the game — and especially for following their favorite teams — simply doesn’t take a vacation. No matter the time of year or where in the world they may be, these die-hard fans simply must catch the season-making or -breaking matchups, live and in the moment.
And fortunately for those staying in the Myrtle Beach area, the Grand Strand is home to plenty of great places to catch the game with fellow sports enthusiasts, not to mention with some great food and drink. The next time your favorite team’s about to take the field (or court, or track, or pitch, etc.) during your Grand Strand getaway, head for one of these six sports bars and/or bar & grill along the Grand Strand.
- Hurricane Maggie’s — Found on North Kings Highway less than a mile north of Ocean Reef Resort, this neighborhood establishment features a main floor with an English Pub feel and a second floor with a lounge and pool table, plus a rooftop deck. And no matter where in the bar you pull up a seat, you’ll be within easy view of one of the wall-mounted TVs, each of which is generally showing the game. To further enhance your game-day experience, Hurricane Maggie’s serves some of the best grilled wings in town and offers an ever-changing craft beer selection focused on some of the best beers in the country
- Liberty Tap Room — Also located within a mile of Ocean Reef on North Kings Highway, this upscale casual dining restaurant specializes in locally brewed beers and delicious Angus steaks. The tap room keeps 40-plus beers on tap, including its own line of signature Liberty Ales, and its extensive menu includes pizzas, burgers, tacos, sandwiches, and house-specialty entrees like Seared Atlantic Salmon and Shrimp & Grits. And for the sports fans, plenty of big-screen TVs are mounted to the rafters throughout the establishment for easy viewing, and the biggest of games are always the broadcast of choice.
- Jimmagan’s — Found just over a mile south of Ocean Reef on North Kings Highway, this Irish-themed pub has been a local’s favorite for over 20 years. With 30 televisions situated around the bar showing nearly every game playing at any given time — plus over a dozen beers on tap, 30-plus more in bottles, and a sizable pub-food menu featuring appetizers, chicken wings, pizzas, salads, sandwiches and more — this is an ideal spot to catch the big game, or even follow a few at the same time.
- Pine Lakes Tavern — Myrtle Beach’s original non-smoking sports bar, this North Kings Highway establishment located within a strong tee shot of Pine Lakes Country Club (and just 2 miles south of Ocean Reef Resort) offers up sports, sports and more sports on its numerous in-house TVs. It then pairs the on-screen action with 15 beers on tap and a menu featuring burgers, wings, barbecue, fish & chips, and more. Guests itching for a little in-house competition can also challenge one another to a game of darts or shuffleboard.
- Backyard Sports Bar & Grill — Found about 5 miles north of Ocean Reef on the Intracoastal Waterway, this North Kings Highway establishment on Restaurant Row carries all of the biggest games, fights and more on its many TVs, and those looking to soak in some views and fresh air can head out to the big back deck overlooking the Intracoastal Waterway. A range of craft brews and domestics are on tap at the bar, and the extensive food menu offers a long list of tasty appetizers, wings, salads, wraps, quesadillas, sandwiches, pizzas, burgers and more.
- Waterway House Sports and Spirits — Located about 4 miles north of Ocean Reef Resort and also adjacent to the Intracoastal Waterway, this non-smoking sports bar on Restaurant Row prides itself on carrying all of the sporting events happening at any given time on its many in-house HD TVs. The full bar serves up a range of libations to keep guests’ thirsts quenched, and the establishment’s La Cucina Italian Kitchen specializes in homemade pizza and pasta dishes, as well as traditional pub grub with an Italian flair.
After enjoying the big game, head back to your comfortable accommodations at the Paradise Resort on the southside of Myrtle Beach.