The pub crawl has become a pop-culture trend for those who prefer to have one drink at a handful of establishments rather than vice versa. The tour-de-bars is particularly popular for folks visiting a new town so they can get an overall feel for the area, and what better place to go for a pub crawl than along the Myrtle Beach oceanfront?
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, will take you along a pre-planned path to some of the most happening bars in downtown Myrtle Beach. Each pit stop has its own unique vibe, so feel free to skip a few if the venue is not for you. The only ground rules are to pace yourself, enjoy yourself and drink responsibly. Now head north from the resort and hit these hot spots:
* Sharkey's Beach Bar: The first stop sets the tone for the pub crawl because it is sooo Myrtle Beach. Featuring an open-air sundeck and covered tiki bar, Sharkey’s allows you to shift into relaxation mode with a frozen drink and a great view of the beach. Order a bucket of beers to wash down the bucket of oysters.
* ART Burger Sushi Bar: This trendy cafe features the unlikely combination of art, burgers and sushi, but the bar is the focus of this quest. Sit inside and check out the works of local artists or kick back on the patio deck while you enjoy one of ABSB's creative cocktails. Try a frozen drink from the liquid nitrogen blender.
* 8th Ave Tiki Bar & Grill: A few doors down, you will find a more traditional beach bar with a nice crowd mix of locals and tourists. The fun and friendly atmosphere makes it a popular happy hour spot. Take the Mystery Beer Challenge for the chance to win … wait for it … a free beer.
* The Bowery: No pub crawl of Myrtle Beach is complete without a stop at this historic honky-tonk. Country music legends Alabama served as the house band here back in the 1970s, and the place hasn't stopped rocking since. The bar selection is somewhat limited, but the hole-in-the-wall ambience and live music are the main draws.
* Ocean Front Bar & Grill: This is the perfect place to chill out and enjoy the ocean breeze in an open-air setting. Serving cold beer and a full menu of seafood specials, Ocean Front Bar & Grill is a great place to look out over the ocean and soak up the excitement surrounding the plaza.
* LandShark Bar & Grill: You can't take a beach pub crawl without hitting at least one Jimmy Buffett-themed bar. Named after the singer's own brand of beer, LandShark Bar & Grill has a full menu of food, drinks and souvenirs in honor of Buffett's songs — like frozen concoctions and cheeseburgers in paradise.
* Pier View Open Air Bar: Now it’s time to head back south to your final destination — the Second Avenue Pier. Nested high above the pier and crashing waves, this open-air bar offers beautiful views and comfortable furniture so you can kick back and soak up some drinks, sea breeze and the atmosphere.
Now you are close enough to crawl back to Bay View on the Boardwalk and recover from your journey. Enjoy a nightcap on your private balcony overlooking the ocean, or call it a night and get some sleep so you will be ready for another exciting day in paradise.