The best bars in Myrtle Beach may not have walls or a ceiling, but they do offer spectacular views of the Atlantic Ocean. Whether it's the smell of the salt air, the sound of the crashing waves or the beautiful sight of the beach as a backdrop, there's something about beach bars that makes your drink taste better and lets the good times roll with an atmosphere that indoor bars simply can't duplicate.
Guests at The Breakers Myrtle Beach Resort don't have to look far to find a cold beverage close to the beach. The on-site Rusty Reel Bar & Grill and the tiki bar on the pool deck serve guests a wide selection of frozen drinks, cold beers and other libations. But for those who want to go on a beach bar pub crawl and explore the best sand bars in town, here's our top five list:
- Banditos Restaurant & Cantina: Located at the northernmost point of the Myrtle Beach Boardwalk, just a few blocks south of The Breakers, this hot spot looks like a Spanish castle but is actually a popular gathering spot for locals and visitors. Featuring a huge oceanfront deck with a stage for live music and an outdoor bar that cranks out lots of house special margaritas, Banditos throws a nice beach party every day of the week. Serving Mexican and Caribbean cuisine, Banditos also specializes in piña coladas, daiquiris, sangria and buckets of ice-cold Coronas.
- Bummz Beach Cafe: The best backyard in Myrtle Beach is located right next door to The Breakers in a beach house that has been turned into a beach bar. Bummz has a large patio deck with covered tables and lawn chairs in the sun so patrons can soak up some sun or some shade, as well as soaking up some suds and seafood. Also serving great burgers and sandwiches, Bummz draws a big lunch crowd to enjoy the live music played on the outdoor stage.
- Ocean Annie's: The biggest beach party on the Strand takes place at this Arcadian Shores location. Featuring live music on the outdoor stage playing beach music and dance tunes, Ocean Annie's draws big crowds that boogie down on the patio deck as well as in the pool. The outdoor bar serves frozen drinks and cold beer while the cafe's servers deliver hot food to your beach chair. The party usually spills over to the beach and lasts into the night.
- Ocean Front Bar & Grill: Located in the heart of the Myrtle Beach Boardwalk, this downtown bar is a hub of activity in the downtown district during the summertime. The “OFBG” rolls up its sliding doors each morning, and beach bums rumble in to enjoy a cold brew with a view. Patrons can sit inside or out, relaxing in the shade and breeze that blows through the bar's interior or grabbing a table outside and enjoying the people-watching as well as the view of the ocean.
- Pier View Rooftop Bar: So this bar isn't technically “on the beach” — it's over it, and actually over the ocean, to be exact. Perched high above the Pier View Restaurant on the Second Avenue Pier, this open-air bar offers great views of the ocean and beach and a relaxing atmosphere with padded furniture and an indoor breezeway. A limited appetizer menu is served for the hungry, and a full bar menu caters to the thirsty. This is the best seat in the house for the Boadwalk's weekly fireworks show.
After touring Myrtle Beach's best beach bars, be sure to come back to The Breakers for more rest and relaxation on the Myrtle Beach oceanfront. It's all part of the good life that comes when you stay at The Breakers.