Pizza, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. New Yorkers swear by thin crust, Chicagoans love deep dish, and sophisticated pallets prefer the new lines of specialty pies that are like a meal on top of a crust.
Whichever way you want your pizza, Myrtle Beach is filled with options. Although there seems to be a pizza parlor on every corner, this list has narrowed your choices down to a handful of outstanding pies:
- AJ's: This new kid on the block is turning heads with its delicious offering of specialty pies, pasta dishes, oven-baked subs, premium salads and appetizers. Start with AJ's Buffalo Chicken Dip (a great alternative to wings, no bones about it) or an Apple Harvest Salad, and then dig into Shrimp Alfredo or a Philly Cheese Steak. But pizza is the centerpiece, and AJ's delivers, in more ways than one. Offering more than 50 toppings, AJ's has a dozen specialty pies, such as the Surf & Turf and the Sweet Thai, plus five vegetarian pizzas like the Spinach Delight. If you have late-night cravings, this is your place. AJ's delivers till 4 a.m.
- Amici’s Brick-Oven Bistro: Pizza-lovers with a taste for the flame-kissed flavor of brick-oven pizza won’t have it any other way, and Amici’s is a famous for its extra-crispy crust. This Broadway at the Beach restaurant is actually an Italian bistro offering a lot more than pizza, but most patrons can’t pass it up once they smell the fresh-baked pies coming from the wood-fired ovens. The first Amici’s was so popular that a second location was added, giving die-hards two chances to get their brick-oven pizza fix at Broadway.
- Godfather’s Pizza: This national chain has its only Grand Strand area location in the heart of Myrtle Beach, and this Godfather’s is famous for its lunch buffet, that includes salad, pasta and a wide selection of pizzas. Godfather’s is known for sparing no expense on its pies, which are piled high with premium toppings and real mozzarella cheese. While the buffet crowd dominates the daytime, the evening service sees lovers of specialty pizzas with lots of ingredients, as well as other Italian favorites and a salad bar. The Big Boss has a mountain of toppings and may require a fork, which is a huge pizza-party foul for New York-style thin crust fans.
- Mellow Mushroom: Chill out dude, and enjoy some good grub at this hippie-themed regional chain. Located near Broadway at the Beach, Mellow Mushroom is a happy hour hot spot famous for its wide selection of handcrafted beers and discounted BBQ Nachos. But the real draw is the pizza, with an eclectic lineup that includes the Kozmik Karma, the Magical Mystery Tour and the Mighty Meaty. Featuring a long list of salads, sandwiches, appetizers and Italian dishes, the main focus is on the unique pies and the laid-back atmosphere.
- Ultimate California Pizza Game Zone: Great pizza and good times are all under one roof at the Restaurant Row location of this popular local chain. Serving as a pizzeria, arcade, game room and sports bar, UCP Game Zone is the perfect place for the whole family to feast on some tasty pies and blow off some steam with some good-natured competition. UCP Game Zone has everything from old-school arcade games like Skee-Ball to the latest high-tech video games. Purchase a combo card for the kids to have a personal pizza and game tickets. UCP has locations throughout the Strand if you want a delicious pie delivered without all the fun and games.