One of the best things about vacationing at Long Bay Resort on the Myrtle Beach oceanfront is that you can enjoy a wonderful beach getaway without ever leaving the property. With the resort’s luxurious oceanfront accommodations, on-site dining, and a long list of amenities and aquatic facilities, Long Bay guests have plenty of fun-filled activities to keep them entertained.
But for those who prefer to experience all the great things Myrtle Beach has to offer (and we highly recommend this), Long Bay guests have a lot of options for exploring the Grand Strand. Leave the family wheels parked safely in the resort's covered parking deck, and take one of these convenient modes of transportation to see the Grand Strand in all its glory:
* Bicycle: There's no better way to get an up-close look at Myrtle Beach while covering a lot of ground than by bicycle. The city has made great strides in adding miles of bike trails, including along Ocean Boulevard. Long Bay guests can ride south past Myrtle Beach's famed Golden Mile to the downtown district, or pedal north through the prestigious Dunes neighborhood. Bike trails like “The Hulk” and Perrin's Path provide a less-trafficked, more natural setting for a bike ride, and Myrtle Beach and Huntington Beach state parks offer even more room to roam in the great outdoors.
* Cab/Uber: If you want to get to your destination in a hurry, or you feel like having a few drinks during your night out on the town, it's always best to call a professional designated driver. Myrtle Beach boasts a long list of taxi cab companies to choose from, and Uber subscribers can use their mobile apps to summon a driver on the spot or schedule transportation in advance. If you are celebrating a special occasion, stepping up in class to a limo is another option.
* Golf cart: You don't have to play golf to rent a golf cart in Myrtle Beach. State law allows golf carts on the roads under a few conditions: They must be operated by a licensed driver during daylight hours, within a 4-mile radius of your address, and only on streets with a posted speed limit of 35 mph or lower. That means Long Bay guests can rent a golf cart and cruise down Ocean Boulevard to a different stretch of beach. Golf carts are convenient for loading up beach gear and parking, since many beach access points have special spots and lots for them.
* Moped/Scooter: Featuring similar restrictions to those for golf carts, mopeds and scooters are a nice way to whip around town with the ocean breeze blowing through your hair and without the hassle of hunting for a full-sized parking spot. There is no helmet law in South Carolina, although we strongly suggest using one. Moped and scooter rental outlets are located at various points throughout Myrtle Beach, and you can rent by the hour, day or week.
* Trolley: Hop aboard one of the colorful streetcar trolleys that offer service throughout Myrtle Beach and link to the greater Grand Strand. Trolleys run on the hour and pick up in front of Long Bay Resort, taking passengers on a loop through the heart of the city and allowing for transfers to buses that run farther on the outskirts of town. Operated by Coast RTA, the buses and trolleys run on schedules that are available online at www.coastrta.com.
After a fun day of sightseeing or a long night out on the town, head back to Long Bay Resort for some more rest and relaxation. No matter how and where you travel, make Long Bay your final stop.