Taking a summer vacation can take a toll on a family budget. But if you know a few tips, tricks and loopholes, you can save big bucks on a Myrtle Beach getaway. In fact, you can save hundreds by staying at Long Bay Resort and taking a few simple steps. Here are five easy ways you can find discounted accommodations and dining, as well as free entertainment and attractions, at America's favorite family beach destination:
* Early Booking: Just like airfare, real estate and fresh produce, many times the price tag is not determined by what you buy, but when you buy it. The same is true of reservations to hotels and resorts, which often adjust their rates based on availability. Therefore, the earlier you book your room, the more likely you are to pay less. In addition to other promotions, Long Bay offers discounts of up to 25 percent for those who make their reservations early. If your schedule is flexible, the Sunday Super Saver provides great deals — as well as free breakfasts — for those who check in on Sundays, Mondays or Tuesdays. Long Bay also offers AAA, AARP and Active Duty/Retired Military discounts.
* Coupons: Once you check in at Long Bay, be sure to check out our display racks filled with valuable coupons to some of the Grand Strand's best attractions, restaurants and shops. The Monster Coupon Book is just one of several locally produced booklets that are convenient for carrying around in your pocket or purse, and if you know where you want to go, individual venues also provide their own printed coupons. Be sure to stay on top of social media via Long Bay's Facebook page and Twitter feed for special offers.
* Free Entertainment: One of the best things about choosing Myrtle Beach as your family vacation destination is the ready availability of free things to do. During the summer, the Myrtle Beach Boardwalk offers free entertainment nightly, including a Kidz Carnival (Mondays), fireworks shows (Wednesdays) and concerts the other five nights a week. Barefoot Landing, Broadway at the Beach and the Myrtle Beach Pelicans minor-league baseball team also shoot off fireworks, and North Myrtle Beach hosts free concert series on Thursdays (Music on Main) and every third Friday of the month (Sounds of Summer).
* Happy Hour/Early Bird Specials: The cost of dining out can add up in a hurry, especially for a family of four or more. But for those who are flexible on when they eat, you can save a lot of money by taking advantage of early bird specials and happy hour discounts. Located a short walk from Long Bay is Liberty Tap Room, which is kid-friendly despite the microbrew theme. From 4 to 8 p.m. on weekdays, Liberty offers reduced prices on its tasty appetizers and house brews. For a more formal dinner, several seafood buffets and Japanese steakhouses have early bird specials for those who beat the 6 p.m. rush.
* Sun Fun Rewards: The Beatles sang “the best things in life are free,” and they were right. As a bonus for staying with us at Long Bay Resort, you are entitled to free tickets to some of the area's top attractions. Guests receive one complimentary adult admission to Myrtle Waves water park and Blackbeard's Pirate Cruise, as well as a free round of miniature golf and three activity passes to Fun Warehouse. If you prefer to relax at the resort, Long Bay provides free and unlimited DVD rentals with your Sun Fun Rewards card, which you will receive upon checking in.
Here's one last bonus tip for saving money: Stay at Long Bay Resort. With comfortable oceanfront accommodations and excellent on-site amenities like our indoor/outdoor pool decks and on-site restaurants, your family can have a memorable and affordable vacation experience without leaving the premises. We look forward to saving you money and helping make memories.