Millions visit the Grand Strand each year to go swimming, sunbathing and surfing, but shopping becomes the most popular local sport for the holidays. The dozens of malls, shopping centers, outlet parks and flea markets that cater to summertime visitors become great places for bargain hunting and Christmas shopping during the less crowded offseason.
Myrtle Beach offers the perfect opportunity to knock out your shopping list while distracting your loved ones with fun things to do in the vicinity. For guests at the Caribbean Resort & Villas who are looking to use their winter retreat as an opportunity to complete their Christmas shopping, you've come to the right place. Shop till you drop at these top 10 places for holiday gift gathering while the rest of the family has a great time on the Grand Strand:
- Barefoot Landing: This North Myrtle Beach multiplex offers hot chocolate and free carousel rides for the little ones while the grownups can shop on the boardwalk that borders the Intracoastal Waterway. Take a timeout from shopping for dinner and a show at the Alabama Theatre or the House of Blues.
- Broadway at the Beach: Myrtle Beach's most popular entertainment, dining and nightlife district may be best known for shopping. Let the family visit attractions like Ripley's Aquarium or WonderWorks while you hit the stores. Dozens of name-brand outlet stores and local mom-and-pop shops are located in the themed villages.
- Coastal Grand Mall: Featuring anchor stores like Belk and JC Penney and many major national brand outlets, Coastal Grand Mall also houses a theater, food court and an arcade to keep your loved ones entertained.
- Hudson's Flea Market: Hunting for bargains and hidden treasures are all part of the fun at Hudson's. Several local antique dealers and artists set up shop here during the holidays. If you can’t find it here, it might not exist.
- Inlet Square Mall: Murrells Inlet is a great place to shop at locally owned and operated stores and boutiques along the waterfront, but this recently remodeled mall brings big anchor stores and national retailers to the Lowcountry retail lineup. The adjoining Frank’s Entertainment offers bowling, movies, an arcade and more.
- Myrtle Beach Boardwalk: Better known for hosting concerts, fireworks shows and festivals, the 1.3-mile wooden walkway along the oceanfront has seen the addition of some trendy shops to the souvenir store lineup. This year’s “Holidays on the Boardwalk” promotion features Christmas decorations, live music and holiday-themed activities.
- Myrtle Beach Flea Market: This place almost closed last year over some lease issues, but new ownership stepped in to save the store and expand with new vendors and special promotions. It's worth a visit.
- Myrtle Beach Mall: After undergoing major renovations, this once-small mall is now a thriving shopping center, with the Grand Strand's only Bass Pro Shops outlet on site. Take the kids to Santa's Workshop while you shop.
- Pawleys Island Hammocks Shops: There are a lot more than just hammocks at this Lowcountry-themed village of shops. Unique, one-of-a-kind items are here for the picking, especially for those folks on your list who are hard to shop for.
- Tanger Outlet Stores: The Grand Strand is fortunate to have two of these – Tanger North near Barefoot Landing and Tanger West in Carolina Forest. If a store you are looking for isn't at one, it's probably at the other.
After a full day of shopping and entertainment, come back to your clean, comfortable accommodations at the Caribbean Resort to relax and recover while the little ones splash and play at our indoor pools and water facilities. What an ideal way to spend the holidays.