A Myrtle Beach vacation has a signature something for all five senses: The beautiful sight of the white-sand beaches, the smell of the fresh salt air, the sound of the tumbling waves and chirping seagulls, the cool feeling of the sand and surf on your toes. But what about the signature taste? For generations of visitors, it's the sweet and soothing sensation of ice cream on a hot summer day.
Guests at Bay View on the Boardwalk are surrounded by plenty of great places to satisfy their sweet tooth with ice cream, desserts and other sweet treats that make a beach vacation complete. From old-school hand-spun milkshakes to saltwater taffy, you are sure to find your dessert fix in the downtown district within a short stroll from Bay View on the Boardwalk. Here are some of our guests’ favorite hot spots to enjoy a cold treat or something sweet to eat during their Myrtle Beach vacation:
* The Boardwalk Snack & Ice Cream: Come for the food and stay for the fun. Adjoining the oceanfront arcade in the heart of the Boardwalk, this longtime beach hangout offers tasty ice cream and other concessions, as well as good, clean fun in the game room. Enjoy a cone, shake or old-fashioned malt over a game of skee-ball, or some cotton candy over an antique pinball machine. Patrons can also find some classic state-fair style foods, such as elephant ears, funnel cakes and snow cones.
* Daddio's Ice Cream & Things: The “ice cream” gets top billing — and for good reason. Located a short walk down the Boardwalk, Daddio's offers a wide selection of hand-scooped ice cream served in house-made waffle cones. But it's the “things” that attract some patrons with particular cravings, like the authentic banana splits or the chocolate-dipped treats coated in sprinkles.
* Mad Myrtle's Ice Creamery: Step into a Myrtle Beach landmark and get a taste of history to go along with your scoop of ice cream. Located in the heart of the Boardwalk, Mad Myrtle's features black-and-white photos of the historic Myrtle Beach oceanfront and colorful ice cream concoctions that keep people coming back generation after generation. Waffle cones and funnel cakes are prepared before your eyes, and you will be tempted to try the Ice Cream Cookie Pie. Give in to the craving.
* Peaches Corner: For eight decades, visitors have been flocking to this vintage seaside short-order grill and ice cream parlor. Sure, Peaches is best known for its hamburgers and hot dogs, but there's no better way to wash them down than with a hand-spun milkshake or chocolate malt. Located across from Plyler Park, Peaches serves a nice selection of hand-scooped ice cream in waffle cones, as well as hot fudge sundaes and root beer floats. You haven't been to Myrtle Beach until you've bellied up to the counter at Peaches, which has been serving generations of visitors since 1937.
* sweetFrog: This popular national chain is just a short hop away from Bay View on the Boardwalk. Featuring a variety of flavors of frozen yogurt, sweetFrog offers patrons the chance to serve themselves a sweet treat all their own. Want a mix of two or three flavors? Go for it. Want to load it up with all types of toppings, such as gummy bears, cookie crumbles or flavored syrups? Be their guests. Make it your way, then pay by the ounce at the counter-top scale. Best of all, you can enjoy your personal creation on the patio deck overlooking the Atlantic Ocean.
For those who prefer to stay on the property, Bay View on the Boardwalk also features an on-site Starbucks for your sweet-tooth convenience. Starbucks may be best known for its coffee, but its frozen and iced lattes and smoothies are perfect treats after a day on the beach. It’s just one more reason to spend your Myrtle Beach vacation with us at Bay View Resort.